So I’ve been keeping a secret. It’s a messy, messy secret. It’s the spare room that I’ve been mentioning from time to time. I’m keeping it real, so I didn’t touch a thing before taking these pics.
Pretty bad huh? I figured to make the task of cleaning up and packing less daunting, I would do it in smaller steps. This time, I tackled all the unnecessary paper work and the books on the wall shelf and the bookcase.
The books were easy. I only kept two and the rest will be going to storage. I gave hubs his books and he did the same. Boom. It happened so fast that I didn’t even take pictures of the process. Bad me.
Moving on to the paper work. In my file cabinet I had tons and tons of paper work. Old bills, new bills, student loan information, college and grad school information, tax paperwork, etc. I wasn’t sure how long I should keep all these things so I used this website as a reference.
When I read the title, I thought it would be able to answer my question. Oh boy did it ever. Apparently I’ve kept my paperwork for way too long. So I purged. And I purged. And I purged some more. This is my shred pile.
Sorry for terrible lighting in the pics. The spare room doesn’t have a lot of natural light. Boo
Although Good Housekeeping said to keep bills and pay stubs only for the year, I decided it would be better for my sanity if I kept it for the last two years. This year’s bills go into my bill paying binder, the last two years are in the file cabinet. I still have some more paperwork to go through, but just didn’t have the time. Here’s my shred pile in a box, ready to go.
I also did a quick sweep of the room, and separating a few things that should go to future yard sale. I can now see my desk top!!
So I can almost cross this off my to do list:
* purchase this item to use as storage for new apartment
* go through books (storage, keep)
* go through craft materials (storage, keep) * go through gift wrapping station, store in new dresser
* pack future projects items
* go through over night bags (keep, yard sale)
* go through and shred unneeded paper work
* go through file cabinet (shred, keep, organize) still have a pile to go through
* take down and pack decor items
* make sure hubs goes through his clothes and separate donate pile
* clean out book shelf, bring to storage, use it to store items
I still have a long way to go before move in day. My goal is to have all long term storage items and yard sale items into my storage unit before moving. That would mean less to move into the new apartment. Win win for everyone.
Am I the only one who kept their electric bills from 2007? What about bank statements from 2002? It’s a terrible sickness that I have.