This is my first tutorial so bear with me. I’m going to try to explain how I made my costume as easy as possible. I may be missing some pictures for some steps, but I was anxious to just finish it before Halloween so I didn’t think to stop to take pictures.
I also purchased about 1 yard of 8 different kinds of fabric – brown pleather, ivory, dark brown and light brown corduroy, blue denim, and gray, green, ivory microfiber. I also purchased half a yard of white furry fabric (don’t really remember what it’s called, but it was furry and soft) for the center of my costume and 2 yards of brown fleece for my cape, which I will get to later in the post.
I then went online and searched for an owl feather template. I found one that I liked and printed it out on card stock paper. With the template, I traced it onto the back of the fabric and cut it out. 1 yard of 8 kinds of fabric = lots of tedious tracing and cutting. That alone took up a huge chunk of time.
I also cut out an oval of the soft furry fabric for the center of my dress. There wasn’t a template so I eyeballed it. I then placed the soft center in the middle of my dress and pinned it in place. From there, I lined up the feathers in an arrangement I liked, overlapped the ends a little, and used tacky glue on the back to secure it to the dress (tip: place a piece of poster board or cardboard inside of the dress to prevent it from sticking to the back of the dress). I didn’t follow a pattern, I just eyeballed it and made an arrangement that I was happy with. I was also careful to spread out the colors so they are evenly spaced out but random at the same time. After I glued each arrangement, I let it dry for a few minutes before continuing with the next arrangement.
I started from the bottom and worked my way up. When I got to the furry center, I glued down the feathers, then glued down the center over them to avoid cutting. At the top, I layered the feathers over the furry center. When I finished the front, I continued with the back. Arrange, glue, let dry, repeat. Then I did the sides and sleeves.
For the cape, I followed this child’s cape template from Martha Stewart, traced it on the fleece, and cut it out. Then I did the same thing with the dress. Arrange, glue, let dry, repeat. At this point I was determined to get it finished so I didn’t take pictures. It’s pretty much the same arrangement as the dress. I then cut small holes on each side of the cape and tied brown ribbon to it so I had a way to secure the cape.
That’s it! I hope this tutorial was easy to follow. If you have any questions, just let me know. It’s easy, just really time consuming.